When it comes to reading, I definitely read the Bible more than anything else. I do read other books, though! However, my favorite type of book is not a book on apologetics, systematic theology, comparative religions or Church history. My favorite kind of book to read besides the Bible is a good Christian biography.
I don’t know exactly how many I have read at this point, but it has to be somewhere around 75-100 over the last 18 years or so. They are so edifying to me. When I read about other Saints of God and what God did in them and through them, it stirs up hope, faith and zeal in me. It makes me believe God for more than I currently am and pushes me further in the faith.
Often times I will get deeply challenged by the faith of some of these past Saints. The things that they trusted God for and the different miraculous things that God did on their behalf, amazes me. I thank God for these precious Saints and look forward to hearing more of their stories in the Kingdom of God.
Many people ask me about books I would recommend for them to read. Below is a list of biographies that I would recommend every and any Christian read. They are in no particular order. These are my favorite biographies. I do believe that God will bless you through them. In my mind, short of being “inspired by God” as Scripture, these books are like an extension on the Book of Acts.
- In Pursuit Of God (A.W. Tozer) by James L. Snyder
- Billy Sunday- The Man And His Message by William T. Ellis
- No Compromise, The Life Story of Keith Green By Melody Green and David Hazard
- Shadow of the Almighty, The Life and Testament of Jim Elliot by Elisabeth Elliot
- Praying Hyde by G. Carre
- Jenner of George St. by Dr. Raymond Wilson
- Fire In His Bones (Oswald J. Smith) by Lois Neely
- William Booth by Janet & Geoff Benge
- The Autobiography of Charles Finney by Bethany House
- Rees Howells: Intercessor by Norman Grubb
- Let Me Die In Ireland (St. Patrick) by David Bercot
- The Journal of John Wesley by Christopher Idle
- George Fox: An Autobiography by NuVision Publications
- The Life of Rev. John Fletcher by a Friend of Sabbath-Schools
- Walking from East to West by Ravi Zacharias
- The Autobiography of George Muller
- Seven Years Street Preaching in San Francisco, CA by Rev. William Taylor
- The Man With The Long Shadow (John Wycliffe) by Clara H. Stuart
- America’s Bishop (Francis Asbury) by Darius Salter
- Autobiography of Peter Cartwright
- Tortured for Christ by Richard Wurmbrand
- David Wilkerson by Gary Wilkerson
- C.T. Studd, Cricketer & Pioneer by Norman Grubb
- God’s Smuggler by Brother Andrew
- Sundar Singh by Janet & Geoff Benge
- Heavenly Man by Brother Young
- D.L. Moody by Bonnie C. Harvey
- In Light of Eternity (Leonard Ravenhill) by Mack Tomlinson
- Out of the Comfort Zone by Ray Comfort
- Hudson Taylor by J. Hudson Taylor
- E.M. Bounds by Darrel D. King
- William Carey by Janet & Geoff Benge
- Oswald Chambers by David W. Lambert
- Heroes of the Holy Life by Wesley L. Duewel
- Back to Jerusalem by Paul Hattaway
Like I said, these are some of my favorite ones, that I would recommend every Christian read. Obviously, don’t ever sacrifice Bible reading time to read these other books. In order to keep this list in one place, I may add to it from time to time. I am reading some other biographies right now, that could possibly be added to this list. God Bless!